Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Picture Book Wednesday: Be A Friend



Amy's Review 

In your life have you ever felt alone? Have you ever felt left out because you were different from everyone else?  Be A Friend addresses this issue. Dennis is different from everyone else and has no friends. Then one special friend comes along and helps him feel better about his differences. I loved this book because it brought me back to my childhood. While I was reading I remembered moments when I felt left out and needed a friend. I also remembered the excitement I felt when I met someone like me and we became friends. I recommend this book for any kid who feel different or might be considered a loner. I think this book would help them to realize that it is okay to be different and that they will eventually find a friend who loves them for who they are. I give Be A Friend  5 out of 5 stars.

Sara's Review

I read this book to several classes. I had to explain why Dennis's face was painted white and what the dotted red lines meant because my students lacked background knowledge about mimes. Once they understood, they were found the story very engaging. One of the most common forms of bullying in elementary school is exclusion. One child is isolated from the others and I love that this book addresses that issue and teaches children empathy. I love the color scheme Yoon employs in the book and it was so very fun to dress up in those colors.


Here is Salina Yoon's author website.

Salina was featured discussing Be A Friend on the #kidlit podcast series The Yarn, hosted by Michigan educators, Travis Jonker and Colby Sharp.

Salina is also the creator of the Penguin series, with the latest title Penguin's Christmas Wish being released on September 6, 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Comment moderation is enabled to prevent spam. We will review your comment ASAP. Can't bear to wait? Feel free to comment to us directly on Twitter. Our handles are @sralph31 and @lehmanac