Thursday, April 21, 2016

#tbt The Penderwicks


266904

I recently read again the first book in The Penderwicks series. I am such a fan of these books. I love the characters. There are four sisters: Rosalind, Skye, Jane and Batty. Their mother died shortly after Batty was born, so they are being raised by their father. They have a large, sweet, yet rowdy dog named Hound. In this first novel, they are spending their summer vacation in a rented cottage on Arundel estate. They become friends with the boy who lives on the estate, Jeffrey, and have many adventures, both fun and troublesome. There are three sequels, with a fifth and final one forthcoming.

Which Penderwick Sister Are You?

My result, which is not surprising because of my love of books, is Jane. However, I can see myself in some of the other sisters. I am the oldest child like Rosalind and I like math like Skye.

Two of my favorite review on Goodreads are from my nerdy guy friends:

"This is a very, very good novel. It's kind of like Little Women for modern readers. I love all of the sisters, but I think Skye was my favorite, Batty was close though towards the end." - Benji Martin, Elementary School Librarian in Montgomery Alabama

"This book almost made me wish I was a girl, almost. Okay, maybe not at all, but seeing the relationship between the four sisters was so cool." - Colby Sharp, 3rd grade teacher in Parma Michigan

I love their reviews and that they are from guys, because we really want kids not to limit their reading based on what they think is a "girl" book or a "boy" book. Yes, this book focuses on the relationship between the sisters, but there are some amazing male characters, and Jeffrey's story is the center of the plot.  

I am including Colby's video from when he was a 4th grade teacher because he speaks to this issue when he addresses Babymouse. I showed this video to my students and I had suddenly had boys checking out Babymouse all the time. #noreadingshame




How great it is to know people that share the love of reading and want kids to love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Comment moderation is enabled to prevent spam. We will review your comment ASAP. Can't bear to wait? Feel free to comment to us directly on Twitter. Our handles are @sralph31 and @lehmanac